By Regina F. Bendix,Galit Hasan-Rokem
- An extraordinary selection of unique, state-of-the-art essays on folklore authored by means of overseas experts
- Examines the practices and theoretical ways built to appreciate the phenomena of folklore
- Considers folklore within the context of multi-disciplinary issues that come with poetics, functionality, non secular perform, fantasy, ritual and image, oral textuality, background, legislations, politics and tool in addition to the social base of folklore
- Selected through selection as a 2013 remarkable educational Title
Read or Download A Companion to Folklore (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology) PDF
Similar folklore & mythology books
The Kolbrin Bible dates again 3,600 years and provides targeted and enlightened insights from the prior to either problem and verify our modern ideals. This 2-part, 11-book secular anthology is sort of as huge because the King James Bible. the 1st six books are known as the "Egyptian texts" and have been penned through Egyptian academicians following the Hebrew Exodus.
A few of the earliest books, rather these courting again to the 1900s and ahead of, at the moment are tremendous scarce and more and more pricey. we're republishing those vintage works in reasonable, prime quality, sleek versions, utilizing the unique textual content and artwork.
Together with tales from the 1700s to at the present time, Choctaw stories showcases the mythic, the mythical and supernatural, the prophecies and histories, the animal fables and jokes that make up the wealthy and vigorous Choctaw storytelling culture. The tales reveal intelligence, artistry, and creativity as Choctaw narrators, previous and current, show and fight with ideals, values, humor, and existence reports.
The end result of 34 years of ethnographic fieldwork and archival study, this e-book deals ground-breaking insights into primary rules of Huichol shamanism and formality. The scope and size of Fikes's study, mixed with the intensity of his participation with 4 Huichol shamans, let him to show with empathy info of shamanic initiation, tools for analysis and remedy of sickness, and causes for acting funeral, deer and peyote looking, and maize-cultivating rituals.
- Japanese Numbers Game: The Use and Understanding of Numbers in Modern Japan (Nissan Institute/Routledge Japanese Studies)
- End of Days: Essays on the Apocalypse from Antiquity to Modernity
- Swapping Stories: Folktales from Louisiana
- The Mythic Journey: Use Myths, Fairy Tales, and Folklore to Explain Life's Mysteries
Additional resources for A Companion to Folklore (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology)
A Companion to Folklore (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology) by Regina F. Bendix,Galit Hasan-Rokem